viernes, 17 de febrero de 2012

Oral Development

Guada is a sequential bilingual student. She is clearly Spanish dominant. She has told me several times that although she can speak more in English, she prefers not to for the fear of making a mistake. I have constantly encouraged her with my stories of learning Spanish and confirmed to her that I continually make mistakes when I speak to her in English. Although, that has yet to help her feel more comfortable.

Guada clearly has linguistic transfer from Spanish to English. Sometimes, it is good, because it gives her vocabulary. Examples of this, were evident when she spoke of the book, Touching Spirit Bear, she mentioned the similarities between atacar and attack, injections and inyecciones . However, in her speech, she uses copying from Spanish to English. Sometimes it causes her to incorrectly assume similarities like “having hunger.” With terms that she has learned only in English, she will code switch into English, and then back into Spanish. For example, she will say, “ Tengo maestras que hablan  español en la clase de Social Studies y Language Arts.” This is an example of inter-sentential code switching.
She rarely uses linguistic blending, she more often switches directly into Spanish when she struggles to find the vocabulary in English.  A lot of times, even when I speak to her in English, she will respond in Spanish.
Although she doesn't have the linguistic ability to use longer sentences that are more detailed and have flowery lexical terms, she does use this speech pattern in Spanish.
Guada feels very comfortable speaking Spanish. We also have many Spanish speaking students, with whom she is close friends. So, she feels very comfortable speaking Spanish, and although her English is quite limited compared to most students, she does not feel ostracized by her language skills.
While it is good for her not to feel a high anxiety at school, she also can get by with limited English because she is still able to get her needs met without speaking much English. Most of her close friends are Spanish speakers, and she says that they “sometimes” speak in English, but “mostly” speak in Spanish.
When I asked her who she speaks to in English, she names a few classmates that don’t speak Spanish. When she wants to talk to them, she speaks in English.
In English, Guada’s language development is at the beginning. She can answer questions with short phrases.  “I like to read in English.” She can restate short stories, although sometimes she lacks the correct verb tense. ( He is hungry vs. He was hungry.) She can talk about her classes and what is easy and difficult in school, but has a hard time discussing academic topics. When discussing Touching Spirit Bear, she could retell a short piece of what happened to the protagonist when he was attacked by a bear, but didn’t know why the protagonist was on the island in the first place.

In Spanish, she has little problem communicating her thoughts in a sophisticated way. I would place her at an “Expanding” level, as she continues to learn academic vocabulary.
She can explain things that have happened ( a story about a cousin who told her not to watch telenovelas), or make predictions about what will happen in a story very easily in Spanish. Often, even when a text is in English, she is able to discuss it in Spanish, using more detailed, specific language than she currently is able to do in English.

5 comentarios:

  1. Mary, thanks for introducing Guada! I can imagine that entering middle school in the U.S. with limited English would be very intimidating. I am glad to hear that little by little Guada is gaining confidence in her ability to use English. I can totally relate to her not wanting to speak English for fear of making mistakes, I still feel that way about my Spanish and much rather speak English with Spanish speakers if I have a choice. It is too bad that she is not able to get formal literacy instruction in both languages but nice that she is able to get some support in Spanish from you and the BRS. You had mentioned that while Guada was in Mexico for those 6 months she wasn't attending school. Would you guess that her academic knowledge is on grade level? I suppose grade level standards are probably different between the U.S. and Mexico, but I am curious about how her academic knowledge understanding/knowledge compares with her peers. I look forward to learning from you and Guada!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Megan,
      I clarified some things with Guada, and turns out that she was in school. However, her teacher would often leave school during the day, sometimes return, and sometimes not.
      I just gave her a reading survey in Spanish today, and I will get the computerized results tomorrow. It is a leveled reading test, and it gets harder as you answer questions correctly, or easier if you answer incorrectly.
      Her writing seems to be better in English, but while I am still analyzing her writing in Spanish, it seems only slightly lower, perhaps it is the instruction in English she is getting.

      Eliminar
  2. Hi Mary,

    Guada seems like a very interesting child! She is so lucky to have your encouragement and even though you think that it is no making her feel more comfortable, I’ll argue that it is and you’ll slowly begin to see that. I can relate to her feelings as second language learner wanting to sound like a native speaker and keeping quite rather than mispronouncing a word. I’m glad that she is interested in books and that you are able to facilitate these materials that are lacking in her household. And, although the parents don’t feel comfortable with school and don’t understand our grading system well, it is comforting that they are racing questions in that regards. They are involved! It is great that Guada is making those linguistic connections such as the awareness of cognates. I also believe that her code switching is helping her navigate through her language gaps and can be use as a tool to further her academic and language success. What are your thoughts in this regard?

    Smiles!
    Fran

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Mary,


    It was really nice to hear about Guada’s story, I can relate to many of her experiences immigrating and starting middle school in the US. It is an extremely difficult transition, especially during those young teenage years. I remember just like Guada, of being able to speak quite a bit of English, but not feeling comfortable, not only because of the fear of making a mistake but I was really ashamed of my accent. As a teenager, all you want to do is blend in and I knew that when I spoke I stood out even more (in addition to looking different than the majority of my peers).
    When reading your posts I was wondering what is SRI? What does it assess? I haven’t heard of this test, but might be because maybe it is not done at an elementary level? I am also very curious about what Guada’s family thinks about her only receiving literacy instruction in English? Does she have strong Spanish literacy skills? If she does, do you think she might lose some of her reading and writing skills in Spanish with the lack of practice and instruction?
    Melissa

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Melissa,
      An SRI is a reading test given to students.It stands for Scholastic Reading Inventory. It gives you a lexile number for students. I believe an average SRI for a 7th grader at this time of the year is about 735-1000.
      I am not sure if she is she will lose Spanish skills, but I think it will be hard for her to maintain her Spanish because she gets so much academic instruction in English.

      Eliminar